Monday 5 December 2016 at 07:32 with

Finally back with a quick update - amidst the backlog of stuff I have to write about since I'm currently on a roll with soft launches and discounts, I wanted to post a quick one about a really great meal yesterday at Pomona's! They're still on their soft launch, having just started brunch service yesterday (which makes H and I the first people they served 'cos we were there at 11am whaaattt) I was pretty impressed with the food here and I haven't really been impressed by regular brunch food in a while (satisfied and enjoyed myself, maybe) and here's a place I'd really consider coming back to!



Pomona's is at notting hill, and they've actually got a pretty big space that's very nicely decorated - I particularly like the entrance, with the glass paneled doors and a couch for you to wait (-: everything is really colourful and the brightness of it all was actually pretty cheery - as much as I am grouchy esp since I woke up early (relative to regular waking times) I actually liked it. Not to mention the fact that all their stuff was exceedingly friendly and smiley, come to think of it.


H asked for some reccs because we really couldn't decide what to get, everything sounded great! Original prices were also already so reasonable that with the 50% off for their soft launch it took everything in me not to order like several mains for myself... heh. But our friendly server recommended the buttermilk waffle with bacon, the hanger steak, soft shell crab toast etc. so H got the buttermilk waffle with Ginger Pig slab bacon and I got the hanger steak with a fried egg on toast with chimichurri, with dessert already in our minds.


I did note that there were vegan options available - the sweet potato toast (with variety of fancy toppings I can't quite remember) and the panna cotta were both labeled vegan and are interesting enough for me to consider bringing YH along next time she's in London. I'd also like to point out the self restraint it too for me not to get the chicken and waffle (it being my #1 weakness/comfort food) and also to not get a side of buttermilk fried chicken. Now I blame my marvelous self restraint cos I wish I tried that ):

red smoothie, 5£; orange soda 3£

I got the red smoothie as well - apple berries and pineapple - I think? and H got the orange soda which in his words was like "freshly made fanta". Both okay, but not particularly exciting

After waiting awhile and watching people slowly starting to stream in, our food finally arrived! Upon looking at our decisions I promptly decided that mine looked better, ha. But then looks are deceiving because even though the plating of buttermilk waffle and bacon wasn't that great, it was really really good. There are 2 'really's in that because I was that impressed. I haven't found waffles here in London that I've enjoyed quite as much, in fact. And that slab bacon. I love how its so much more substantial than regular thin crispy strips of bacon and this had a slightly crispy crust and a deliciously juicy inside. But back to the waffle - it was fluffy without being empty (yknow, how sometime's its so hole-y and airy inside you wonder where your waffle went) and not all dense and chewy, and had a hint of sweetness so that you don't just taste dough and they're really good enough to be eaten on their own (and so didn't need any syrup or whatever). At that point I wished I had gotten a waffle too, but I had to make do with savouring the piece the H let me try and saving it till the veryyy end of my meal.

buttermilk waffle with bacon, 12£ (i think)

That's not to say I didn't like my main, though. The hanger steak was perfectly cooked so it wasn't tough, and the amount of meat was actually pretty generous. I didn't quite get the pairing of steak with toast so I ended up eating my toast separately but that crispy bread + meat juice + chimichurri combination ended up working for me, and I mopped up every last bit of fresh herb in the chimichurri.

hanger steak, 10£

I'd say these were mains that I'd seen/tried on menus elsewhere but done better, which I really appreciate! At this point I was excited thinking about dessert already & after a glance we decided on the caramelized croissant with (rum soaked?) prunes and vanilla creme anglaise.

caramelised croissant, 6£

I LOVED THIS! The vanilla creme anglaise especially - and it paired perfectly with the warm croissant, and the vanilla flavour really shone through. It was a perfect sweet ending that wasn't too cloying and now I'm wondering how I can possibly recreate this at home. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of prunes so I'll not comment on that.

Altogether I'm really glad I took some time off an incredibly busy Saturday because I was rewarded with an amazing meal and the thought of this meal will hopefully tide me through the tragically busy week ahead.

Till next time x

Pomona's
47 Hereford Road
London W2 5AH
020 7229 1503
*soft launch till 7th December 2016

Labels: , , , ,



THE BRUNNER CLUB
we eat everything
{}

who we are

the past
thank you for reading tbc!
instagram
credits area
© 2014 - Codes, design and colors by pinktape. Icons by birdhaus. Bullets and mini-icons by 7THD and kawaii-box.